HMO Research Network (HMORN)
The HMO Research Network (HMORN) is a consortium of 19 large, regional healthcare delivery organizations with integrated research divisions. NCI funds several HMORN-based collaborations created to study the effectiveness of cancer control interventions along the continuum of cancer care, from prevention to palliation in the context of organized health care delivery systems.
Among the HMORN's largest multicenter projects are the NCI's Cancer Research Network, the NHLBI's Cardiovascular Research Network, the NIMH's Mental Health Research Network, the FDA Mini-Sentinel Initiative, and several projects funded by the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality.
The HMORN research portfolio includes a wide variety of health care topics including advanced biostatistics, behavioral & mental health, cancer research, comparative effectiveness research, complementary & alternative medicine, communication & health literacy research, dissemination & implementation, epidemiology, genomic & genetic research, health disparities research, health informatics, health services & health economics, infectious & chronic disease surveillance, patient-centered care, pharmacoepidemiology and pharmacoeconomics, primary & secondary prevention, systems change and organizational behavior.
Formed in 1994, the HMORN's goal is to improve health and transform health care practice through a broad spectrum of population-based research studies. The HMORN Virtual Data Warehouse (VDW) facilitates multi-center research while protecting patient privacy and proprietary health practice information. Data is only available to HMORN members or project affiliates after ethical, contractual, and HIPAA requirements are met.
The HMORN member sites are:
- Essentia Health
- Geisinger Health System
- Group Health
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Care
- Henry Ford Health System – Health Alliance Plan
- Kaiser Permanente Colorado
- Kaiser Permanente Georgia
- Kaiser Permanente Hawaii
- Kaiser Permanente Mid-Atlantic
- Kaiser Permanente Northern California
- Kaiser Permanente Northwest
- Kaiser Permanente Southern California
- Lovelace Health System
- Maccabi Healthcare Services
- Marshfield Clinic/Security Health Plan of Wisconsin
- Fallon Community Health Plan/Reliant Medical Group
- Palo Alto Medical Foundation for Healthcare, Research and Education
- Scott and White Health System