Dietary Assessment Calibration/Validation Register
What is the Dietary Assessment Calibration/Validation (DACV) Register?
Welcome to the Dietary Assessment Calibration/Validation (DACV) Register, a register of calibration/validation studies and publications. This research resource was developed as a means of keeping the international nutrition and health community aware of calibration/validation studies on dietary assessment methods being conducted worldwide. Sharing information about these studies in a timely manner can promote more effective research and application.
What types of studies are contained in the DACV Register?
The register contains studies and publications which compare dietary intake estimates from two or more dietary assessment methods. Dietary assessment methods include:
- Food records or diaries (including weighed intakes)
- Dietary recalls
- Food frequency questionnaires (FFQ's)
- Dietary histories
- Observed intakes
- Chemical analyses of duplicate collections of foods consumed
- Biological assessments (e.g. doubly-labelled water, plasma carotene, etc.)
Note: inclusion of a study in the Dietary Assessment Calibration/Validation Register does not imply NCI approval or review of the study protocol or its results.
What types of studies are NOT included in the DACV Register?
Excluded from the register are studies related to food composition, studies which assess only household (not individual) consumption, and reliability studies (studies which administer the same method multiple times). Additionally, abstracts or publications that only review or comment on other work are excluded from the register.
Why was the DACV Register created?
The history of this effort dates back to 1993 when the idea for creating such a register was suggested at the First International Conference on Dietary Assessment in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
- Thompson FE, Moler, JE, Freedman LS, Clifford CK, Stables GJ, Willett WC. Register of Dietary Assessment Calibration-Validation Studies: A Status Report Am J Clin Nutr 1997 Apr;65(4 Suppl):1142S-1147S.