July/August 2021 NCI Cohort Consortium Member Newsletter
On this page...
- Annual Meeting Updates
- Authorship Guidelines
- Cohort Consortium Project Hub
- Cancer Epidemiology in Hispanic Populations Virtual Workshop
- NIH Nutrition Health Disparities Workshop on Food Insecurity and the Food Environment
- NIH Funding and Funding-Related Notices
- Upcoming Events
Annual Meeting Updates
The 2021 NCI Cohort Consortium Virtual Annual Meeting -
November 15-16, 2021
Please save the date! Registration is expected to open in August.
Project Group Meetings at the 2021 Cohort Consortium Annual Meeting
Cohort Consortium project group meetings will be held prior to the annual meeting, in September and October. Attendees will be able to sign up to attend project group meetings through registration. For any questions, please contact Camille Pottinger, M.P.H. at NCICohortConsortium@mail.nih.gov.
Lightning Talks Are BackMeeting attendees can sign up through registration to pitch new ideas for scientific projects in the Cohort Consortium or share new and interesting research results from their projects. This is also a great opportunity for early-career investigators to get involved in consortium activities. If you are interested or have questions, please contact Camille Pottinger, M.P.H. at NCICohortConsortium@mail.nih.gov. The deadline to sign up is October 4. More information to come.
The Steering Committee has been working to create manuscript guidelines for Cohort Consortium projects to consider when developing an authorship plan during the beginning stages of new collaborations. These new guidelines are now available on the NCI Cohort Consortium website.For any questions, please send an email to Camille Pottinger, M.P.H. at NCICohortConsortium@mail.nih.gov.
Cohort Consortium Project Hub
The Cohort Consortium Project Hub recently launched and is available online and is a great resource for staff, investigators, and members of the consortium. The Project Hub is a searchable database in which users can view active and completed consortium projects and affiliated publications, as well as submit new project proposals and progress reports for current projects. The Hub can provide useful information for users deciding whether to join a current project, submit a new proposal to address an identified research gap, or communicate directly with the project leaders to discuss opportunities to collaborate on new or existing research ideas within the consortium.
For any questions, please contact Camille Pottinger, M.P.H. at NCICohortConsortium@mail.nih.gov.
Cancer Epidemiology in Hispanic Populations Virtual Workshop
The Cancer Epidemiology in Hispanic Populations Workshop will be held online on September 14-16, 2021. Register at https://events.cancer.gov/egrp/cehp/.
This NCI-sponsored workshop will consider the challenges, identify opportunities, and develop ideas for increasing Hispanic representation in cancer epidemiological studies.
Questions about the workshop may be submitted via e-mail to the Planning Committee at NCICEHP@mail.nih.gov.
NIH Nutrition Health Disparities Workshop on Food Insecurity and the Food Environment
Join NIH for a virtual nutrition health disparities research and implementation workshop on September 21-23, 2021. The goal is to review the state of the science around food insecurity and the neighborhood food environment, identify research gaps, and explore innovative research strategies that could inform policies and practices. Experts in these fields will come together for a series of panel discussions that address nutrition health disparities.
This online event, which is free and open to the public, features panel discussions, networking opportunities, and two poster sessions.
Learn more and register by September 7, 2021: https://bit.ly/3dY3D6H
NIH Funding and Funding-Related Notices
Funding Opportunity Announcements (FOAs)
- Dyadic Interpersonal Processes and Biopsychosocial Outcomes (R01 Basic Experimental Studies with Humans, R01 Clinical Trials Not Allowed)
- HIV-Associated Non-Communicable Diseases Research at Low- and Middle-Income Country Institutions (R21 Clinical Trial Optional)
- Identification and Characterization of Bioactive Microbial Metabolites for Advancing Research on Microbe-Diet-Host Interactions (R01 Clinical Trial Not Allowed)
- Small Business Technology Transfer
- PHS 2021-2 Omnibus Solicitation of the NIH for Small Business Technology Transfer Grant Applications (Parent STTR [R41/R42] Clinical Trial Required)
- PHS 2021-2 Omnibus Solicitation of the NIH for Small Business Technology Transfer Grant Applications (Parent STTR [R41/R42] Clinical Trial Not Allowed)
- Small Business Innovation Research
- Omnibus Solicitation of the NIH, CDC, and FDA for Small Business Innovation Research Grant Applications (Parent SBIR [R43/R44] Clinical Trial Not Allowed)
- PHS 2021-2 Omnibus Solicitation of the NIH and CDC for Small Business Innovation Research Grant Applications (Parent SBIR [R43/R44] Clinical Trial Required)
- Method to Extend Research in Time (MERIT) Award Extension Request (R37)
- The Early Detection Research Network
- Exercise and Nutrition Interventions to Improve Cancer Treatment-Related Outcomes (ENICTO) in Cancer Survivors Consortium (U01, Clinical Trial Required) and Coordinating Center for ENICTO in Cancer Survivors Consortium (U24, Clinical Trial Not Allowed)
- The pre-application webinar and Q&A document for this FOA are now available.
- NIH Directors Transformative Research Awards (R01, Clinical Trial Optional)
- Launching Future Leaders in Global Health (LAUNCH) Research Training Program (D43, Clinical Trial Optional)
- Academic Research Enhancement Award for Undergraduate-Focused Institutions
- The Role of Work in Health Disparities in the U.S. (R01, Clinical Trials Optional)
- Research to Reduce Morbidity and Improve Care for Pediatric, and Adolescent and Young Adult (AYA) Cancer Survivors (R01, R21, Clinical Trial Optional)
- Metabolic Dysregulation and Cancer Risk Program: A Transdisciplinary Approach to Obesity-Associated Research
- Melanoma Research Program Awards:
Notice of Special Interest (NOSIs)
- Integration of Individual Residential Histories in Cancer Research (NOT-CA-21-092)
- Developing and Testing Multilevel Physical Activity Interventions to Improve Health and Well-Being (NOT-OD-21-087)
- A recording of the pre-application webinar for this FOA is now available.
Notice of Intent to Publish a Research Opportunity
- Announcement for AIM-AHEAD: Artificial Intelligence/Machine Learning Consortium to Advance Health Equity and Researcher Diversity (NOT-OD-21-156)
Requests for Information (RFIs)
- Streamlining Access to Controlled Data from NIH Data Repositories (NOT-OD-21-157 responses due August 9, 2021)
- Datasets Collecting Temporally-Linked Diet, Physical Activity, and Sleep Data to Facilitate Integrated Research on 24-Hour Behavior Patterns (NOT-CA-21-087, responses due by August 22, 2021)
- Developing Consent Language for Future Use of Data and Biospecimens (NOT-OD-21-131, responses due by September 29, 2021)
- NIH Programs to Increase Cloud Computing to Diverse Biomedical Research Institutions (NOT-OD-21-158 responses due September 30, 2021)
Please visit the Division of Cancer Control and Population Sciences website for a full list of funding opportunities, including those sponsored by EGRP.
Division of Cancer Control and Population Sciences Events
Unbiased Identification of Spliceosome Vulnerabilities Across Cancer
August 10, 2021 • 3:00pm – 4:00pm ET
Obesity, the Microbiome and Cancer: Mechanistic Considerations
September 9, 2021 • 12:00pm – 2:00pm ET
Early-onset Colorectal Cancer: What Do We Know and Where Do We Go?
September 13, 2021 • 1:00pm – 2:00pm ET
Early Detection of Cancer: Challenges and Opportunities
September 14, 2021 • 3:00pm – 4:00pm ET
Measurements of Aging to Use in Cancer Cohort Studies
October 20, 2021 • 1:00pm – 2:00pm ET
Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics (DCEG) Events
Transparency Earns Trust: Engaging Tribal Nations in the All of Us Research Program
July 29, 2021 • 10:30am – 11:30am ET
Wacholder Lectureship in Quantitative Health Sciences
October 7, 2021 • 10:30am – 11:30am ET