Preparing, Submitting, and Tracking a Grant Application
NCI Grants Process Quick Overview
Information from NCI about eligibility, roles, types of funding and applications, allowable costs, research settings, how to submit an application, grant document examples. progress reports, and grant closeout.
This section contains links compiled by NCI's Epidemiology and Genomics Research Program (EGRP) to help investigators learn more about NIH and NCI information and policies related to writing and submitting new, resubmission, late, and renewal grant applications; and answers to frequently asked questions related to grants submission.
- Writing a Grant Application
- How to Submit a Grant Application
- Post-Submission Information
- Foreign/International Grants
Writing a Grant Application
- Sample Cancer Epidemiology Grant Applications
Excerpts of successfully funded cancer epidemiology grant applications that are intended to serve as a resource for investigators preparing applications for NCI funding.
- NIH Grant Application Basics
Webpage with information on what NIH looks for in grant applications, who is eligible for an NIH grant, and more.
- Writing a Grant Application
NIH Webpage with advice on preparing a research proposal, including development of a research plan, required elements, and writing tips.
- NCI "Cap" on Increases in Direct Costs for Competing Renewal (Type 2) Applications (PDF - 41 KB)
This web page, developed by NCI's Division of Extramural Activities, answers FAQs about the NCI "Cap" on Permissible Increase in Direct Costs of Renewal (Type 2) Applications.
How to Submit a Grant Application
- How to Submit an Application
Webpage with information on submitting competing and non-competing grant applications.
- Electronic Submission of Grant Applications
Link to information outlining the steps investigators need to take to electronically submit a grant application.
- Standard Due Dates for Competing Applications
Table listing the various NIH due dates, by grant mechanism.
- Process for Submitting Large Budget Cancer Epidemiology Grant Applications (≥$500,000)
This web page provides details about EGRP's process for investigators to seek approval to submit applications ≥$500,000.
- Modified Submission, Referral, and Review for Recent Substantial Service
Link to notice in NIH Guide for Grants and Contracts describing the extension of the continuous submission process to appointed members of chartered standing NIH Study Sections, NIH Boards of Scientific Counselors, NIH Advisory Boards or Councils, the NIH Peer Review Advisory Committee, and peer reviewers.
- Late Grant Applications
NIH policy announcement in the NIH Guide for Grants and Contracts on late grant applications.
- NIH and AHRQ Announce Updated Policy for Application Submission
NIH policy announcement in the NIH Guide for Grants and Contracts on the implementation of a new time limit between the submission of a New, Renewal, or Revision1 application and a Resubmission (A1 version).
- Tracking Submitted Applications
NIH Webpage with information on how to track submitted applications during various phases of the grants process.
- Review and Award Cycles
Table outlining timeframe, by month and NIH award cycle, for scientific merit review, advisory council round, and earliest project start date.
- Foreign Grants Information
NIH Office of Extramural Research Webpage with details about the process and policies for foreign grants.