NIH and NCI Career Development Opportunities
- Are you a U.S. Citizen?
- Do you have a doctoral degree (MD, PhD, or equivalent)?
- Is your educational debt more than 20% of your current income?
- Do you conduct research with human subjects or patient-oriented research?
- Epidemiologists who answered "yes" to the above questions, you may be eligible for the NIH Loan Repayment Program.
Additional Training Resources
The National Institutes of Health (NIH) and the National Cancer Institute (NCI) offer many opportunities for research training and education that are particularly suited to fostering careers in cancer epidemiology and genetics.
- NCI's Cancer Training Branch manages the majority of NCI's awards to institutions and individuals pursuing training and career development opportunities in cancer research at organizations throughout the United States. Learn more about available funding for extramural training.
- Center to Reduce Cancer Health Disparities Diversity Training Programs - Offers internship, fellowship, career development, and training opportunities focused on the training of students, researchers and faculty from racially and ethnically diverse populations that are underrepresented in biomedical research.
- Cancer Prevention Fellowship Program
- Summer Curriculum in Cancer Prevention
- Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics Fellowships
- Other NCI Fellowships and Internships
- NIH supports Research Training and Career Development programs to help prepare individuals for careers in biomedical, behavioral, social, and clinical research. Learn more about options for undergraduates, pre- and post-doctoral training, in addition to opportunities for early research career development and established investigator research development and mentoring.
- Fogarty Global Health Fellows Training Program
This Program provides supportive mentorship, research opportunities and a collaborative research environment for early stage investigators from the U.S. and low- and middle-income countries to enhance their global health research expertise and their careers.
- Fogarty HIV Research Training Program
The overall goal of this Program is to strengthen the capacity of low- and middle-income countries to conduct HIV-related research in their country and to compete independently for research funding.