Extensive evidence has demonstrated that 24-hour dietary recalls provide the highest quality, least biased dietary data. Traditional 24-hour recalls, however, are expensive and impractical for large-scale research because they rely on trained interviewers and multiple administrations to estimate usual intakes. As a result, researchers often make use of food frequency questionnaires, which are less expensive but contain substantial error.
To address this challenge, investigators at NCI created the Automated Self-administered 24-hour Recall (ASA24) system, a web-based tool that enables multiple automated self-administered 24-hour recalls. ASA24 was developed under contract with Westat, a social science research firm located in Rockville, MD, and builds on the Food Intake Recording Software System (FIRSSt) developed by Dr. Tom Baranowski of the Baylor College of Medicine. An External Working Group provided advice about the needs and interests of potential users.
ASA24 consists of a Respondent Web site used to collect recall data and a Researcher Web site used to manage study logistics and obtain data analyses. A Beta version released in August 2009 and supported through June 2012 was used by more than 200 researchers to collect more than 45,000 recalls. ASA24-2011 (released in September 2011) and ASA24-Kids-2012 (released in September 2012) continue to be available for currently registered studies but are no longer available for use to register new studies. The current versions, ASA24-2014, ASA24-Kids-2014, and ASA24-Canada-2014 are now freely available for use by researchers, clinicians, and teachers. This Web site provides details on ASA24 and how to access and use it.
A discussion forum for asking other researchers questions about how they are using ASA24.Join the ASA24 Listserv
ASA24 on Twitter
Keep up with the latest ASA24 news.Follow @NCIASA24diet
Respondent Web Sites
- Evaluation & Validation
- Available Versions:
- International Versions:
- ASA24-Mobile (Under Development)
- Retired Version of ASA24 (Beta)
Researcher Web Site
- System Requirements
- Researcher Instructions (ASA24-2014, ASA24-Kids-2014, and ASA24-Canada-2014) [PDF]
- Researcher Instructions (ASA24-2011 and ASA24-Kids-2012) [PDF]
- Sample Analysis Files and Data Dictionaries (ASA24-2014 and ASA24-Kids-2014) [ZIP]
- Sample Analysis Files and Data Dictionaries (ASA24-2011 and ASA24-Kids-2012) [ZIP]
Register to Use ASA24
- Join the ASA24 Listserv
- Follow @NCIASA24diet on Twitter
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Considerations for Using ASA24
- Resources for Study Staff and Participants
- Resource for Funding & Ethics Applications
- Known Issues & Workarounds
- Resources Related to the Healthy Eating Index (HEI)
- Portion Size Image Database
- SAS Code for Updating Beta Output Files
ASA24™ is a trademark of HHS.