The ASA24 Respondent Website guides the participant through the completion of either a 24-hour recall for the previous day (from midnight-to-midnight or for the past 24-hours) or for a single or multiple day food record. The instrument:
- Flows as per modified United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) Automated Multiple-Pass Method (AMPM) for 24-hour recalls, a method that was adapted for collection of food records;
- Asks Respondents to report eating occasion and time of consumption;
- Requires Respondents to search to find foods, drinks and supplements.
- Asks detailed questions about food form, preparation, portion size, and additions so that food codes can be assigned;
- Uses images to assist Respondents in reporting portion size;
- Allows the Respondent to add or modify food, drink, and supplement choices at multiple points during the recall or record;
- Includes optional modules to query where meals were eaten, whether meals were eaten alone or with others, television and computer use during meals, and source of foods consumed;
- Includes an optional module to query dietary supplement intake based on supplements;
- Is available in English and Spanish, except for ASA24-Canada (English only);
- Is accessible by individuals using assistive technologies, such as screen readers.
The Respondent Website does not provide any direct feedback to Respondents. Instead, Researchers can obtain analysis files from the Researcher Website and contact Respondents with any findings they choose to share. A Respondent Report that will allow Researchers to choose to provide tailored feedback on nutrient and food group intake to Respondents is under development for ASA24-2016.
ASA24 is a registered trademark of HHS.