FAQs and Tips for Webinar Participation
What equipment do I need to join WebEx?
- Windows or Mac computer
- Internet connection (broadband is best)
- For audio, participants may use either a landline phone or a mobile phone (audio quality tends to be better with a landline phone). For this option, participants may select "Call Me" after joining the webinar and enter the number of the telephone you wish to use. You will receive a call and will be prompted to "press 1 to connect."
- International participants are encouraged to use VoIP through their computer's microphone and speakers to avoid international calling charges. Navigate to the "Call Using Computer" A headset is recommended if this option is used. See Fig. 1.
Fig. 1 - A screenshot of the WebEx software application that highlights the bulleted options for the user's audio preferences (telephone or microphone and speakers).View Figure 1
Can I test my computer's ability to join WebEx prior to the scheduled webinar?
Yes. All participants are invited to test their connection with WebEx in advance to ensure their computer has everything required to join the webinar successfully. Learn more about testing your connection.
My computer can't load WebEx. What do I do?
- Occasionally, WebEx doesn't work properly in one internet browser, but may work fine in another browser.
- Check to see that your computer meets the basic system requirements for running WebEx. You may need to run a temporary application, See Fig. 2. If you have other questions related to whether your computer meets the basic system requirements, you may need to contact your organization's IT help desk.
- Check to see that you have the latest version of Java on your computer. To install the latest version of Java, visit Free Java Download. Many common issues can be easily resolved by updating or installing the latest version of Java.
- If you aren't sure what else to try, contact our technical support by emailing email@example.com during the webinar.
Fig. 2 - A screenshot of the WebEx software application that highlights the run a temporary application.View Figure 2
How do I ask a question during the presentation or Q&A session?
If you would like to type in a question and have a staff member read it to the group, please type it into the "Questions" box, select "Host" and click send. See Fig. 3.
Fig. 3 - A screenshot of the WebEx software application that highlights how and where to submit questions.View Figure 3
What if I need closed captioning during the webinar?
If you need closed captioning during the webinar, please enter your name and company in the Media Viewer panel in order to access closed captions. See Fig. 4.
Fig. 4 - A screenshot of the WebEx software application that highlights how to access closed captioning.View Figure 4