On this page...
The Comprehensive Oncologic Emergencies Research Network (CONCERN) was established in March 2015 with the goal to accelerate knowledge generation, synthesis, and translation of oncologic emergency medicine research through multi-center collaborations. CONCERN is an open scientific forum for researchers working across oncology and emergency medicine interested in collaborative approaches to improve outcomes during unscheduled cancer-related medical care. Research is needed to better inform appropriate utilization, prevention, management, and coordination of unscheduled cancer-related care, implement cancer prevention services, and develop evidence-based management strategies within urgent and emergency care settings.
- To identify knowledge gaps impacting the prevention, management, and coordination of cancer-related urgent and emergent care issues.
- Accelerate knowledge generation and translation through multi-centre research collaborations across oncology and emergency medicine.
- Identify and test oncologic emergency prevention measures in oncology care settings.
- Identify and test care management strategies for oncologic emergencies presenting to urgent and emergency medicine settings.
- Translate research findings into national guidelines and implement in academic and community emergency care settings.
- Support collaborative educational efforts in the area of cancer and emergency medicine.
- Mentor new and established investigators working in the area of cancer and emergency medicine.
CONCERN's lead coordinators are:
- David Adler, MD, MPH, University of Rochester Medical Center
- Elizabeth Chiao, MD, MD Anderson Cancer Center
CONCERN membership includes more than 20 medical centers and is open to new members interested in collaborative research in cancer and emergency medicine. There are no membership requirements. For membership questions, please contact Jaycee Turney at email@example.com.Sign Up for CONCERN Membership
Shelburne N, Simonds NI, Jensen RE, Brown J. Cancer-related emergency and urgent care: expanding the research agenda. Emer Ca Care. 2022 1:4
Klotz AD, Caterino JM, Durham D, Rico JF, Pallin DJ, Grudzen CR, McNaughton C, Marcelin I, Abar B, Adler D, Bastani A, Bernstein SL, Bischof JJ, Coyne CJ , Henning DJ, Hudson MF, Lyman GH, Madsen TE, Reyes-Gibby CC, Ryan RJ, Shapiro NI, Swor R, Thomas CR Jr, Venkat A, Wilson J, Yeung SJ, Yilmaz S, Stutman R, Baugh CW. Observation unit use among patients with cancer following emergency department visits: Results of a multicenter prospective cohort from CONCERN. Acad Emerg Med. 2021 Nov 22. [Epub ahead of print].
Hudson MF, Strassels SA, Durham DD, Siddique S, Adler D, Yeung SJ, Bernstein SL, Baugh CW, Coyne CJ, Grudzen CR, Henning DJ, Klotz A, Madsen TE, Pallin DJ, Rico JF, Ryan RJ, Shapiro NI, Swor R, Venkat A, Wilson J, Thomas CR, Bischof JJ, Lyman GH, Caterino JM. Examining pain among non-Hispanic Black and non-Hispanic White patients with cancer visiting emergency departments: CONCERN (Comprehensive Oncologic Emergencies Research Network). Acad Emerg Med. 2021 Oct 4.
Coyne CJ, Reyes-Gibby CC, Durham DD, Abar B, Adler D, Bastani A, Bernstein SL, Baugh CW, Bischof JJ, Grudzen CR, Henning DJ, Hudson MF, Klotz A, Lyman GH, Madsen TE, Pallin DJ, Rico JF, Ryan RJ, Shapiro NI, Swor R, Thomas CR Jr, Venkat A, Wilson J, Yeung SJ, Caterino JM. Cancer pain management in the emergency department: a multicenter prospective observational trial of the Comprehensive Oncologic Emergencies Research Network (CONCERN). Support Care Cancer. 2021 Aug;29(8):4543-4553.
Adler D, Abar B, Durham DD, Bastani A, Bernstein SL, Baugh CW, Bischof JJ, Coyne CJ, Grudzen CR, Henning DJ, Hudson MF, Klotz A, Lyman GH, Madsen TE, Pallin DJ, Reyes-Gibby CC, Rico JF, Ryan RJ, Shapiro NI, Swor R, Thomas CR Jr, Venkat A, Wilson J, Yeung SJ, Caterino JM. Validation of the Emergency Severity Index (Version 4) for the Triage of Adult Emergency Department Patients With Active Cancer. J Emerg Med. 2019 Sep: 57(3):354-361.
Caterino JM, Adler D, Durham DD, Yeung SJ, Hudson MF, Bastani A, Bernstein SL, Baugh CW, Coyne CJ, Grudzen CR, Henning DJ, Klotz A, Madsen TE, Pallin DJ, Reyes-Gibby CC, Rico JF, Ryan RJ, Shapiro NI, Swor R, Venkat A, Wilson J, Thomas CR Jr, Bischof JJ, Lyman GH. Analysis of Diagnoses, Symptoms, Medications, and Admissions Among Patients With Cancer Presenting to Emergency Departments. JAMA Netw Open. 2019 Mar 1;2(3):e190979
Brown J, Grudzen C, Kyriacou J, Obermeyer Z, Quest T, Rivera D, Stone S, Wright J, Shelburne N. The Emergency Care of Patients With Cancer: Setting the Research Agenda. Ann Emerg Med. 2016 Dec;68(6):706-711.
- Cancer-Related Emergency and Urgent Care: Prevention, Management, and Care Coordination (December 2021)
- Note: Links to recorded presentations are available in the meeting agenda.
- Cancer and Emergency Medicine: Setting the Research Agenda Workshop (March 2015)
Nonniekaye Shelburne, CRNP, MS, AOCN
Clinical and Translational Epidemiology Branch
Epidemiology and Genomics Research Program
Division of Cancer Control and Population Sciences
National Cancer Institute
Jeremy Brown, MD
Office of Emergency Care Research
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke
Network Executive Committee
David Adler, MD, MPH
CONCERN co-chair, emergency medicine
University of Rochester Medical Center
Elizabeth Chiao, MD
CONCERN co-chair, oncology
MD Anderson Cancer Center
Jeff Caterino, MD
The Ohio State University
Christopher Coyne, MD, MPH
University of California, San Diego
Matthew Hudson, PhD, MPH
Caroline Thompson PhD, MPH
University of North Carolina