- Funding Opportunities
- Research Resources
- Selected Publications
- Workshops and Meetings
- EGRP Contacts
Cancer Epidemiology Matters Blog
A biomarker is a biologic specimen that may be a marker of exposure to a substance, its metabolism, or an integration of exposure and metabolism. Biomarkers may also reflect host characteristics. Because biomarkers are sometimes related to risk of disease, they are important in cancer control research.
EGRP is interested in understanding how biomarkers can be used in early detection/screening of cancer, identifying environmental exposures that may lead to cancer, and as markers of nutrition that either promote or protect against cancer.
NCI is currently sponsoring the following Funding Opportunity Announcements (FOAs) for biomarkers research:
- Assay Validation for High Quality Markers for NCI-Supported Clinical Trials - expires July 9, 2018
- PA-15-264 (Admin Supp)
- Physical Activity and Weight Control Interventions Among Cancer Survivors: Effects on Biomarkers of Prognosis and Survival - expires September 8, 2018, unless reissued
EGRP joins with other NCI Divisions, Offices, and Centers and other Institutes and Centers at the National Institutes of Health (NIH) to fund grant applications submitted in response to FOAs. View the full list of EGRP FOAs.
EGRP also encourages investigator-initiated grant applications on topics related to biomarkers and cancer epidemiology.
- Biospecimen Resources for Population Scientists
A list of links to biospecimen resources that may be of interest to cancer epidemiologists, including policies and best practices for biospecimen research and potential sources of biospecimens.
- National Institute of Environmental Health Science (NIEHS) Health Topics: Biomarkers
This compilation of resources includes studies, clinical trials, educational materials, NIEHS initiatives, and general information related to biomarkers.
- Early Detection Research Network (EDRN)
The Early Detection Research Network (EDRN), an initiative of the National Cancer Institute (NCI), brings together dozens of institutions to help accelerate the translation of biomarker information into clinical applications and to evaluate new ways of testing cancer in its earliest stages and for cancer risk.
- Freedman LS, Commins JM, Moler JE, Willett W, Tinker LF, Subar AF, Spiegelman D, Rhodes D, Potischman N, Neuhouser ML, Moshfegh AJ, Kipnis V, Arab L, Prentice RL. Pooled results from 5 validation studies of dietary self-report instruments using recovery biomarkers for potassium and sodium intake. Am J Epidemiol. 2015 Apr 1;181(7):473-87.
- Freedman LS, Moler J, Commins J, Arab L, Baer D, Kipnis V, Midthune D, Moshfegh A, Neuhouser ML, Prentice R, Schatzkin A, Spiegelman D, Subar AF, Tinker L, Willett W. Pooled results from 5 validation studies of dietary self-report instruments using recovery biomarkers for energy and protein intake. Am J Epidemiol. 2014 Jul 15;180:172-88.
- Mahabir S, Baer DJ, Giffen C, Clevidence BA, Campbell WS, Taylor PR, Hartman TJ. Comparison of energy expenditure estimates from 4 physical activity questionnaires with doubly labeled water estimates in postmenopausal women. Am J Clin Nutr 2006 Jul;84(1):230-6.
- Mahabir S, Baer DJ, Giffen C, Subar A, Campbell W, Hartman TJ, Clevidence B, Albanes D, Taylor PR. Calorie intake misreporting by diet record and food frequency questionnaire compared to doubly labeled water among postmenopausal women. Eur J Clin Nutr 2006 Apr;60(4):561-5.
- Mahabir S, Baer DJ, Pfeiffer RM, Li Y, Watkins BA, Taylor PR. Low to moderate alcohol consumption on serum vitamin D and other indicators of bone health in postmenopausal women in a controlled feeding study. Eur J Clin Nutr 2014 Nov;68(11):1267-70.
- Schully SD, Carrick DM, Mechanic LE, Srivastava S, Anderson GL, Baron JA, Berg CD, Cullen J, Diamandis EP, Doria-Rose VP, Goddard KA, Hankinson SE, Kushi LH, Larson EB, McShane LM, Schilsky RL, Shak S, Skates SJ, Urban N, Kramer BS, Khoury MJ, Ransohoff DF. Leveraging biospecimen resources for discovery or validation of markers for early cancer detection. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2015 Feb 16;107(4).
- Biomarker-based validation of diet and physical activity assessment tools in existing cohorts [PDF - 57 KB]. (White Paper)
Workshops and Meetings
- Utilizing Existing Clinical and Population Biospecimen Resources for Discovery or Validation of Markers for Early Cancer Detection, August 2013
- Think Tank on the Identifiability of Biospecimens and "-Omic" Data, June 2012
- International Cancer Screening Network Meeting, June 2010
- Danielle Carrick, Ph.D., M.H.S. – biomarkers for early detection/screening of cancer
- Somdat Mahabir, Ph.D., M.P.H. – biomarkers of nutrition; biomarkers of early life exposures
- Amy Subar, Ph.D., M.P.H., R.D. – biomarkers of nutrition