What is ASA24?
The Automated Self-Administered 24-hour (ASA24®) Dietary Assessment Tool is a web-based tool that enables multiple, automatically coded, self-administered 24-hour recalls and/or single or multi-day food records, also known as food diaries. To learn more about 24-hour recalls and food records, visit the Dietary Assessment Primer.
The ASA24 system consists of a Respondent Website used to collect dietary intake data and a Researcher Website used to manage study logistics and obtain nutrient and food group data files. Learn more about the:
Since ASA24 was released in 2009, more than 5,100 studies have registered to use ASA24 and over 400,000 recall or record days have been collected as of November 2018.
The most current versions of ASA24 in the United States and Canada are ASA24-2018. However, the 2016 version is still the most recent version of ASA24-Australia. View a comparison of all versions of ASA24 to learn more about the underlying nutrient and food group databases, and other features.
Who can use ASA24?
The ASA24 system is freely available for use by researchers, clinicians, and teachers.
- The ASA24 system can be used by researchers for epidemiologic, interventional, behavioral, or clinical research.
- Clinicians can utilize this system to collect 24-hour recalls or food records from patients and receive complete nutrient analysis of the foods and beverages consumed during the collection timeframe.
- Educators may find it useful to have nutrition students analyze nutrient intake or compare diet assessment methods using ASA24.
If you are interested in adapting the ASA24 system for a specific situation or country, please contact the ASA24 Helpdesk.
How was ASA24 developed?
The ASA24 system was developed by the National Cancer Institute (NCI), under contract with Westat, a social science research firm, and originally based on an automated self-administered recall developed by Dr. Tom Baranowski of the Baylor College of Medicine.
ASA24 has been funded by the following NIH Institutes and Offices:
- National Cancer Institute (NCI)
- Division of Cancer Control and Population Sciences and Division of Cancer Prevention (DCCPS)
- Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics (DCEG)
- Division of Cancer Prevention (DCP)
- NIH Office of Dietary Supplements (ODS)
- National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI)
- National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK)
- NIH Office of Behavioral and Social Sciences Research (OBSSR)
- NIH Office of Disease Prevention
- National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (NICHD)
- National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA)
Learn about the background of the ASA24 system; the latest U.S. version, ASA24-2018, and answers to frequently asked questions about ASA24.View the October 2018 Webinar
A discussion forum for asking other researchers questions about how they are using ASA24.Join the ASA24 Listserv
ASA24 is a registered trademark of HHS.