As with ASA24-2016 and ASA24-2018, the ASA24-2020 respondent website uses a responsive design, allowing it to be used on smartphones, tablets, laptops, and desktops. This allows study participants to enter dietary intake data at any time and from any location with Internet service.
The following features are new to the 2020 version of ASA24:
- Participants will benefit from new, improved search capabilities with enhanced ability to find items that are misspelled. Popular items are also more likely to populate near the top of the search results.
- New portion size food images have been added for some popular foods.
- Nutrient, food group, and supplement databases were updated to include:
- Coming soon! A redesigned Respondent Nutrition Report is available in 2020. Researchers have the option to provide respondents with this report, which shows how their intake on the day they completed a 24-hour recall or food record compares to country-specific dietary guidance and nutrient requirements. The redesigned report utilized user testing and graphic design experts to improve the clarity and guidance provided by the report.
Other features of ASA24-2020 include:
- The user interface is written in HTML5. This enables ASA24 to work on all common web browsers.
- Respondents can complete single- or multi-day food records (also known as food diaries) and 24-hour recalls, which expanded the types of studies and applications using ASA24.
- Data on supplement intake are collected at the same time as foods and beverages, rather than in a separate module. This allows participants to report supplement intake as part of what they consume on a given day, with corresponding time stamps that may be useful in examining patterns of intake across the day.
- Intuitive icons are used to facilitate editing of food terms and details.
- Tips and guidance are available within the respondent website via a Help Center and icons on the screen; and Quick Start Guides are available for study staff and respondents.
- System requirements and accessibility
- Evaluation and validation
- Register a study
- Help Guides for Respondents
Researchers using ASA24-2020: please contact the ASA24 Support Team with tips to include in future help guides. Use our online form to report bugs that are encountered using either the respondent or researcher websites.View a detailed comparison of all versions of ASA24
ASA24 is a registered trademark of HHS.