Researchers can no longer register studies to use or collect data with ASA24-US-2020.
As with ASA24-2016 and ASA24-2018, the ASA24-2020 respondent website used a responsive design, allowing it to be used on smartphones, tablets, laptops, and desktops. This allowed study participants to enter dietary intake data at any time and from any location with Internet service.
The following features were new to the 2020 version of ASA24:
- Participants benefited from new, improved search capabilities with enhanced ability to find items that are misspelled. Popular items are also more likely to populate near the top of the search results.
- New portion size food images were added for some popular foods.
- Nutrient, food group, and supplement databases were updated to include:
- A new Sleep module was available in the ASA24-2020 version beginning in November 2021. Researchers had the option to ask respondents about sleep timing, duration, and quality. This allowed them to examine the associations between sleep and dietary intake, timing of eating, and other variables in the context of the 24-hour day.
- A redesigned Respondent Nutrition Report became available in 2020. Researchers had the option to provide respondents with this report, which showed how their intake on the day they completed a 24-hour recall or food record compared to country-specific dietary guidance and nutrient requirements. The redesigned report utilized user testing and graphic design experts to improve the clarity and guidance provided by the report.
Other features of ASA24-2020 include:
- The user interface was written in HTML5. This enabled ASA24 to work on all common web browsers.
- Respondents could complete single- or multi-day food records (also known as food diaries) and 24-hour recalls.
- Supplement intake was collected at the same time as foods and beverages, rather than in a separate module. This allows participants to report supplement intake as part of what they consume on a given day, with corresponding time stamps that may have been useful in examining patterns of intake across the day.
- Respondents could build recipes and use these recipes in subsequent intakes.
- Tips and guidance were available within the respondent website via a Help Center and icons on the screen; and Quick Start Guides are available for study staff and respondents.
- System requirements and accessibility
- Evaluation and validation
- Register a study
- Help Guides for Respondents
ASA24 is a registered trademark of HHS.