- System Requirements for ASA24-2016, ASA24-Canada-2016, and ASA24-Australia-2016
- System Requirements for ASA24-2014, ASA24-Canada-2014, ASA24-Kids-2014, ASA24-Kids-2012, and ASA24-2011
System Requirements for ASA24-2016, ASA24-Canada-2016, and ASA24-Australia-2016
- Has been designed to be a lightweight application requiring minimum memory usage, local storage, and no long term storage;
- Is a highly dynamic application that relies on a high speed, reliable internet connection to communicate with the host server; and
- Is an HTML5 application and can run in any HTML5 capable browser used on a desktop, laptop, tablet, or smartphone. The latest versions of Google Chrome and Firefox (both freely available online), as well as Safari and Internet Explorer/Edge are compatible. This site is a good resource for understanding the HTML5 compatibility of a browser of interest.
System Requirements for ASA24-2014, ASA24-Canada-2014, ASA24-Kids-2014, ASA24-Kids-2012, and ASA24-2011
These versions of the ASA24 system will continue to be available for data collection in studies until March 2017. They require high-speed internet access and Microsoft's Silverlight browser plug-in, which can be freely downloaded. The Silverlight plug-in can be used in Internet Explorer, Firefox, and Safari; however, the plug-in will not run using the Chrome browser. These versions do not run on Apple iPhones, iPads, or Mac PowerPCs. They will also not run in a Linux environment. As Silverlight is either no longer supported or will not be supported in the near future by most commonly used web browsers, all Researchers will be required to switch to ASA24-2016 and ASA24-Canada-2016 by March 2017.
- High-speed internet connection, such as cable, DSL or FIOS;
- Monitor size of at least 10" (greater than 13" is recommended);
- The use of computers with screen resolution set to 1024 x 768 and audio capability is recommended.
- Version 4.0 of Microsoft Silverlight plug-in;
- Use of an internet browser that allows the use of the Silverlight plug-in such as Internet Explorer, Firefox, and Safari.
When a Respondent opens the ASA24 Respondent Website home page, the site will detect the Respondent's Silverlight version and screen resolution. If the above standards are not met, instructions will be provided on how to adjust the computer.
These Respondent Websites have been tested on:
- Microsoft Internet Explorer for Windows, version 8 and higher;
- Mozilla Firefox for Windows and OSX, version 6 and higher;
- Apple Safari for Windows and OSX, version 4;
- Important note: These versions no longer work using Google Chrome.
ASA24-2014, ASA24-Canada-2014, ASA24-Kids-2014, ASA24-Kids-2012, and ASA24-2011 were designed for larger monitors (greater than 10"), and while the application will scale, they cannot be used on a smartphone or tablet.
The National Cancer Institute (NCI) is committed to providing access to the ASA24 system to all potential users. As such, the current versions of the ASA24 Respondent and Researcher Websites have been designed to comply with Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act (as amended). Section 508 requires that all individuals with disabilities have access to and use of information and data comparable to that provided to individuals without disabilities, unless an undue burden would be imposed.
Researchers should report any difficulties experienced by a Respondent using assistive technologies (such as a screen reader, etc.) in an e-mail addressed to ASA24HelpDesk@westat.com. Please describe the nature of the accessibility problem and include the study name and Researcher contact information.
ASA24 is a registered trademark of HHS.