As of April 2019, it is no longer possible to register new studies using ASA24-Canada-2016. Researchers currently using ASA24-Canada-2016 must transition these studies to the latest version, ASA24-Canada-2018, by April 2020.
ASA24-Canada-2016 includes many of the features of the US version of ASA24-2016.
The following features were new to ASA24-Canada-2016 when it was released:
- The user interface is written in HTML5. This enables ASA24 to work on all common web browsers. Previous versions required users to download the plug-in Microsoft Silverlight.
- Respondents can complete single- or multi-day food records (also known as food diaries) and 24-hour recalls, which expanded the types of studies and applications using ASA24.
- Respondents can complete food records or 24-hour recalls in English or French.
- Data on supplement intake are collected at the same time as foods and beverages, rather than in a separate module. This allows participants to report supplement intake as part of what they consume on a given day, with corresponding time stamps that may be useful in examining patterns of intake across the day.
- Respondents can filter search results by food, beverage, and supplement categories. We also revised food terms to be more intuitive to help respondents more easily find foods, beverages, and supplements.
- More intuitive icons are used to facilitate editing of food terms and details.
- Tips and guidance are available within the respondent website via a Help Center and icons on the screen; and Quick Start and Help Guides are available for study staff and respondents.
- Additional portion size images were added.
- Nutrient, food group, and supplement databases were updated to include data from:
- Canadian Nutrient File (CNF) 2015
- Food and Nutrient Database for Dietary Studies (FNDDS) 2009-10 (version 5.0) and 2011-12
- Food Patterns Equivalents Database (FPED) 2011-12
- NHANES Dietary Supplement Database (DSD) 2011-12
- Licensed Natural Health Products Database
- 2007 “Eating Well with Canada’s Food Guide”
The ASA24-Canada-2016 includes the Respondent Nutrition Report, an optional module that provides study participants with information about how their daily intakes compare to the 2007 Canadian dietary guidance and nutrient requirements. For ASA24-Canada-2016, Respondent Nutrition Reports are available only for recalls or records collected after April 2019, and only if the Researcher has selected this option using the Researcher website.