ASA24® Versions from 2011-2014 (no longer available)
Researchers can no longer register studies to use or collect data using versions of the Automated Self-Administered 24-Hour (ASA24) Dietary Assessment Tool released between 2011 and 2014. There are no plans to develop a new version of ASA24-Kids.
Information about previous versions of ASA24
ASA24-2014, ASA24-Kids-2014, ASA24-Canada-2014, ASA24-Kids-2012, and ASA24-2011:
- Used version 4.1 of USDA's Food and Nutrient Database for Dietary Studies (FNDDS) or the Canadian Nutrient File (CNF) 2015 to estimate nutrient intakes;
- Used version 2.0 of the USDA's MyPyramid Equivalents Database* (MPED) and the USDA's Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion's MPED Addendum to estimate intakes of dietary guidance-based food groups (nutritionists on the ASA24 team imputed values for nine food codes for which MyPyramid Equivalents were not assigned by USDA);
- Included optional modules to query the location of meals, with whom meals were eaten, and television and computer use during meals;
- Included an optional module to query supplement intakes based on supplements reported in the 2007-2008 National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) for U.S. versions or the Licensed Natural Product Database & National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) Dietary Supplements Database 2007-2008 for the Canadian version; and
- Allowed participants to complete food recalls in English or Spanish (ASA24-Canada-2014 is only available in English).
*Not available for ASA24-Canada-2014
The ASA24-2014 and ASA24-Canada-2014 versions (not ASA24-2011) also included options to:
- Query the source of each food consumed to provide information on where foods are obtained (i.e., grocery store, farmer's market, vending machine, etc.);
- Query different 24-hour time frames: midnight to midnight of the previous day or the past 24-hours starting with the Respondent's first login; and
- Require participants to complete recalls in one sitting with breaks of no longer than 30 minutes.
Note to users of the ASA24-2011 and ASA24-Kids-2012: Data collected using ASA24-2011 or ASA24-Kids-2012 and ASA24-2014 are comparable as both use the same nutrient and food group databases. Most of the changes between the ASA24-2011 and 2014 versions were related to modifications of the user interface.
Learn more about:
- System requirements
- Evaluation and validation
- Researcher Website
- Contact the ASA24 Support Team
- Report a bug in Respondent or Researcher Websites
More ASA24 resources
View a detailed comparison of all versions of ASA24
ASA24 is a registered trademark of HHS.