Researchers can no longer register new studies using the US or Canadian versions of ASA24-2016; however, new studies can still be registered using ASA24-Australia-2016.
The user interface for all 2016 versions of ASA24, including ASA24-Canada-2016 and ASA24-Australia-2016, employs a responsive design, meaning that ASA24-2016 can be used on smartphones, tablets, laptops, and desktops. This allows participants to enter dietary intake data at any time and from any location with Internet service.
The following features were new to ASA24-2016 when it was released:
- The user interface is written in HTML5. This enables ASA24 to work on all common web browsers. Previous versions required users to download the plug-in Microsoft Silverlight.
- Respondents can complete single- or multi-day food records (also known as food diaries) and 24-hour recalls, which expanded the types of studies and applications using ASA24.
- Researchers using the US and Canadian versions have the option to provide respondents with a Respondent Nutrition Report, which shows how their intake on the day they completed a 24-hour recall or food record compared to country-specific dietary guidance and nutrient requirements. For food records, researchers must provide the report to the respondent after obtaining it from the researcher website. For 24-hour recalls, the respondent can view the report directly after completing their recall.
- Data on supplement intake are collected at the same time as foods and beverages, rather than in a separate module. This allows participants to report supplement intake as part of what they consume on a given day, with corresponding time stamps that may be useful in examining patterns of intake across the day.
- Respondents can filter search results by food, beverage, and supplement categories. We also revised food terms to be more intuitive to help respondents more easily find foods, beverages, and supplements.
- More intuitive icons are used to facilitate editing of food terms and details.
- Tips and guidance are available within the respondent website via a Help Center and icons on the screen; and Quick Start and Help Guides are available for study staff and respondents.
- Additional portion size images were added.
- Nutrient, food group, and supplement databases were updated to include:
ASA24 is a registered trademark of HHS.