The ASA24 Respondent Website guides the participant through the completion of either 24-hour recalls or food records. The ASA24 instrument:
- Flows as per modified United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) Automated Multiple-Pass Method (AMPM) for 24-hour recalls, which was further adapted for collection of food records;
- Allows researchers to specify timing of recall, either from midnight-to-midnight or for the past 24-hours from time of login;
- Allows researchers to collect multiple single-day or consecutive-day food records;
- Asks Respondents to report eating occasion and time of consumption;
- Enables Respondents to search to find foods, drinks and supplements;
- ASA24-2018 (U.S. and Canadian versions available) allows Respondents to report, save and modify recipes for use in subsequent recalls or records;
- Presents Respondents with search results for misspelled and related food items;
- ASA24-2018 (U.S. and Canadian versions available) includes >13,670 misspellings and synonyms;
- ASA24-2016 includes >13,000 misspellings in the Canadian version and >14,500 in the Australian version;
- Asks detailed questions about food form, preparation, portion size, and additions using an extensive branching question database with > 13 million pathways so that food codes can be assigned;
- Uses images to assist Respondents in reporting portion size;
- Allows the Respondent to add or modify food, drink, and supplement choices at multiple points during the recall or record;
- Includes optional modules to query where meals were eaten, whether meals were eaten alone or with others, television and computer use during meals, and source of foods consumed;
- Includes an optional module to query dietary supplement intake;
- The U.S. versions are available in English and Spanish, ASA24-Canada is available in English and French, and ASA24-Australia is available in English;
- Is accessible by individuals using assistive technologies, such as screen readers.
- Includes an optional Respondent Nutrition Report for Researchers to provide feedback on nutrient and food group intake in comparison with U.S. dietary guidance. This report is available only for Respondents completing food recalls or records using the U.S. or Canadian versions of ASA24. Learn more about Respondent Nutrition Reports.
Data from usage of the 2016 version in the United States indicates that the median time for Respondents to complete a 24-hour recall is 24 minutes. Most Respondents complete their 24-hour recall in 17 to 34 minutes. Our data indicate that it typically takes 2 to 3 minutes longer for a Respondent to complete his/her first recall compared to subsequent recalls.
ASA24 is a registered trademark of HHS.