Researchers can no longer register studies to use or collect data using ASA24-2014, ASA24-Canada-2014, ASA24-Kids-2014, ASA24-Kids-2012 and ASA24-2011. Studies that are ongoing and previously used older versions of ASA24 must update to the 2016 versions of the ASA24 system. There is currently no funding to develop an updated version of ASA24-Kids.
Information about previous versions of ASA24
ASA24-2014, ASA24-Kids- 2014, ASA24-Canada-2014, ASA24-Kids-2012, and ASA24-2011:
- Use version 4.1 of USDA's Food and Nutrient Database for Dietary Studies (FNDDS) or the Canadian Nutrient File (CNF) 2015 to estimate nutrient intakes;
- Use version 2.0 of the USDA's MyPyramid Equivalents Database* (MPED) and the USDA's Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion's MPED Addendum to estimate intakes of dietary guidance-based food groups (nutritionists on the ASA24 team imputed values for nine food codes for which MyPyramid Equivalents were not assigned by USDA);
- Include optional modules to query the location of meals, with whom meals were eaten, and television and computer use during meals;
- Include an optional module to query supplement intakes based on supplements reported in the 2007-2008 National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) for U.S. versions or the Licensed Natural Product Database & National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) Dietary Supplements Database 2007-2008 for the Canadian version; and
- Allow participants to complete food recalls in English or Spanish (ASA24-Canada-2014 is only available in English).
*Not available for ASA24-Canada-2014
The ASA24-2014 and ASA24-Canada-2014 versions (not ASA24-2011) also include options to:
- Query the source of each food consumed to provide information on where foods are obtained (i.e., grocery store, farmer's market, vending machine, etc.);
- Query different 24-hour time frames: midnight to midnight of the previous day or the past 24-hours starting with the Respondent's first login; and
- Require participants to complete recalls in one sitting with breaks of no longer than 30 minutes.
Note to users of the ASA24-2011 and ASA24-Kids-2012: Data collected using ASA24-2011 or ASA24-Kids-2012 and ASA24-2014 are comparable as both use the same nutrient and food group databases. Most of the changes between the ASA24-2011 and 2014 versions were related to modifications of the user interface.
Learn more about:
- System requirements
- View Respondent demonstration site for ASA24-2014 and ASA24-Kids-2014
- View Respondent demonstration site for ASA24-2011 and ASA24-Kids-2012
- Evaluation and validation
- Researcher Website
- Contact the ASA24 Support Team
- Report a bug in Respondent or Researcher Websites
More ASA24 resources
ASA24 is a registered trademark of HHS.